Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Back Door

Once settled in Louisville (settled meaning the moving truck was unloaded) the first thing I did was to seek out the closest dive to my place. This happened to be a short walk from my apartment: Barret Bar, which I frequented for 2 weeks before it shut down.

Out of luck and still with no Louisville friends, a Google search lead me to the Outlook Inn - not a dive, at least not anymore - and then Cahoots - too hipster. I had seen the signs for The Back Door during my first few visits to ValuMarket but couldn't for the life of me comprehend where in the shopping center it was, nor did the elitist East Coaster in me have any interest in visiting a mini-mall bar in Kentucky (I was new).

However, as I started to get acquainted with those whom I now consider good friends, recommendations for The Back Door came piling in, and I quickly realized the joke was on me. Since then I've gone back every couple of weeks for ridiculously cheap drinks, great (who knew?) bar food, and perhaps the best people-watching of any bar I have ever been to.

Of course, I'm from Boston and spent some time in Seattle and Chicago before arriving in Kentucky last fall, so the everyday people and culture I still find fascinating - and is full force like no other at The Back Door - is nothing short of mundane for my born-and-raised friends that usually join me.

My only gripe isn't really a complaint, only that I'm often overlooked for locals and regulars at the bar, but if I were back home I'd expect nothing less from a place where the regulars are literally painted on the wall. I actually prefer a dive bar to be a place you have to earn your stripes, if that means being looked over after five minutes in line for someone who just walked in so be it.

My full Examiner review is here.
  • Happy Hour: 4-8pm daily, $2.50 wells, $6.50 pitchers $2.50 pints of domestics, $1 off pitchers, $.75 off pints of imports
  • Monday: $1.50 domestic bottles
  • Tuesday: $2.50 wells
  • Wednesday: $3.25 Jim Beams
  • Thursday: $.75 off imported beer
  • U of L and UK Gameday Specials : $6 pitchers of domestic, $.40 wings
The Back Door and The Back Burner Grill
1250 Bardstown Road (behind ValuMarket, along the north alley)
(502) 451-0659

8STGTQP82ZQG


No comments:

Post a Comment